Department of Computer Science, HKU
P307G, Graduate House, HKU
Department of Computer Science
Professor Yi Ma is a Chair Professor in the Musketeers Foundation Institute of Data Science (HKU IDS) and Department of Computer Science at the University of Hong Kong. He took up the Directorship of HKU IDS on January 12, 2023. He is also a Professor at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley.
Professor Ma received his Bachelor’s degrees in Automation and Applied Mathematics from Tsinghua University in 1995, two Masters degrees in EECS and Mathematics in 1997, and a PhD degree in EECS from UC Berkeley in 2000. He has been on the faculty of UIUC ECE from 2000 to 2011, the principal researcher and manager of the Visual Computing group of Microsoft Research Asia from 2009 to 2014, and the Executive Dean of the School of Information Science and Technology of ShanghaiTech University from 2014 to 2017. He then joined the faculty of UC Berkeley EECS in 2018. He has published about 60 journal papers, 120 conference papers, and three textbooks in computer vision, generalized principal component analysis, and high-dimensional data analysis. He received the NSF Career award in 2004 and the ONR Young Investigator award in 2005. He also received the David Marr prize in computer vision from ICCV 1999 and best paper awards from ECCV 2004 and ACCV 2009. He has served as the Program Chair for ICCV 2013 and the General Chair for ICCV 2015. He is a Fellow of IEEE, ACM, and SIAM.
- Kwan Ho Ryan Chan, Yaodong Yu, Chong You, Haozhi Qi, John Wright, and Yi Ma, ReduNet: A White-box Deep Network from the Principle of Maximizing Rate Reduction, arXiv:2104.10446, Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 2022.
- John Wright, Allen Yang, Arvind Ganesh, Shankar Sastry, and Yi Ma, Robust Face Recognition via Sparse Representation, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI), vol. 31. no.2, February 2009.
- John Wright, and Yi Ma, High-Dimensional Data Analysis with Low-Dimensional Models: Principles, Computation, and Applications, Cambridge University Press, 2022.
- Rene Vidal, Yi Ma, and Shankar Sastry, High-Dimensional Data Analysis with Low-Dimensional Models: Principles, Computation, and Applications, Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics #40, Springer, 2016.
- Yi Ma, Stefano Soatto, Jana Kosecka, and Shankar Sastry, An Invitation to 3-D Vision: From Images to Geometric Models, Interdisciplinary Applied Mathematics #26, Springer, 2003.