Chair Professor in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Department of Industrial and Manufacturing Systems Engineering
HKU Business School
Dean, Graduate School
President’s Office, Knowles Building, HKU
Professor Shen obtained his PhD from Northwestern University, USA in 2000. He started his academic career as Assistant Professor at the University of Florida in the same year, and joined the University of California, Berkeley in 2004, where he rose through the academic ranks to become Chancellor’s Professor and Chair of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Operations Research and Professor of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. He was also a Centre Director at the Tsinghua-Berkeley Institute in Shenzhen and an Honorary Professor at Tsinghua University, China. Professor Shen joined HKU in 2021. Internationally recognized as a top scholar in his field, Professor Shen is a Fellow of the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), the President-Elect of the Production and Operations Management Society (POMS), and a past President of the Society of Locational Analysis of INFORMS.
- Yang Zhao, Zhenpo Wang, Zuo-Jun Max Shen, Lei Zhang, David G. Dorrell, and Fengchun Sun. Assessment of battery utilization and energy consumption in the large-scale development of urban electric vehicles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 118(17). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.120083, (2021).
- Tianhu Deng, Keren Zhang, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “A systematic review of a digital twin city: A new pattern of urban governance toward smart cities.” Journal of Management Science and Engineering, 6(2), pp.125-134. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmse.2021.03.003, (2021).
- Sheng Liu, Long He,and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “On-time last-mile delivery: Order assignment with travel-time predictors.” Management Science, 67(7), pp.4095-4119. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2020.3741, (2021).
- Cristobal Pais, Jaime Carrasco, Pelagie Elimbi Moudio, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Downstream Protection Value: Detecting critical zones for effective fuel-treatment under wildfire risk.” Computers & Operations Research, 131, p.105252. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cor.2021.105252, (2021).
- Zuo-Jun Max Shen, and Yiqi Sun. “Strengthening supply chain resilience during COVID19: A case study of JD. com.” Journal of Operations Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1002/joom.1161, (2021).
- Jiali Yu, Yiduo Huang, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Optimizing and evaluating PCR-based pooled screening during COVID-19 pandemics.” Scientific reports, 11(1), pp.1-14. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-021-01065-0, (2021).
- Qi Meng, Shi Yuanyuan, Qi Yongzhi, Ma Chenxin, Yuan Rong, Wu Di and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “A Practical End-to-End Inventory Management Model with Deep Learning.” Management Science. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3737780, (2022).
- Lu Wang, Tianhu Deng, Zuo-Jun Max Shen, Hao Hu, and Yongzhi Qi. “Digital twin-driven smart supply chain.” Frontiers of Engineering Management, pp.1-15. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s42524-021-0186-9, (2022).
- Nooshin Salari, Sheng Liu, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Real-time delivery time forecasting and promising in online retailing: when will your package arrive?.” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.2022.1081, (2022).
- Meng Qi, Ying Cao, Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Distributionally robust conditional quantile prediction with fixed design.” Management Science, 68(3), pp.1639-1658. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/mnsc.2020.3903, (2021).
- Shaochong Lin, Youhua (Frank) Chen, Yanzhi Li, Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Data-driven newsvendor problems regularized by a profit risk constraint.” Production and Operations Management, 31(4), pp.1630-1644. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/poms.13635, (2021).
- Xiaohong Chen, Tianhu Deng, Zuo-Jun Max Shen, and Yi Yu. “Mind the gap between research and practice in operations management.” IISE Transactions, pp.1-11. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/24725854.2022.2046893, (2022).
- Long He, Sheng Liu, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Smart urban transport and logistics: A business analytics perspective.” Production and Operations Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/poms.13775, (2022).
- Hansheng Jiang, Junyu Cao, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “Intertemporal Pricing via Nonparametric Estimation: Integrating Reference Effects and Consumer Heterogeneity.” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3702824, (2022).
- Sheng Liu, Zuo-Jun Max Shen, and Xiang Ji. “Urban bike lane planning with bike trajectories: Models, algorithms, and a real-world case study.” Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 24(5), pp.2500-2515. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1287/msom.2021.1023, (2022).
- Dazhou Lei, Hao Hu, Dongyang Geng, Jianshen Zhang, Yongzhi Qi, Sheng Liu, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “New product life cycle curve modeling and forecasting with product attributes and promotion: A bayesian functional approach.” Production and Operations Management. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1111/poms.13892, (2022).
- Yang Zhao, Zhenpo Wang, Zuo-Jun Max Shen, Lei Zhang, David G. Dorrell, and Fengchun Sun. “Big data-driven decoupling framework enabling quantitative assessments of electric vehicle performance degradation.” Applied Energy, 327, p.120083. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2022.120083, (2022).
- Zhiyu Zeng, Hengchen Dai, Dennis Zhang, Heng Zhang, Renyu Zhang, Zhiwei Xu, and Zuo-Jun Max Shen. “The impact of social nudges on user-generated content for social network platforms.” Management Science. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3611571, (2022).