HKU Summer Institute Data Science for Beginners: Theory, Algorithms and Applications"
Programme Code: IDSS2301Apply Now!
Areas of interest: Machine Learning . Optimization . Statistics . Neural Network . Network Science
Data science has grown to become a large, interdisciplinary subject and an integral part of the society, with applications found across a wide range of domains. This summer course offers a friendly introduction to a number of important topics in data science, focusing on the mathematical and algorithmic foundations. Applications of data science in various scientific, engineering and business domains will also be presented.
- Understanding of the mathematical foundations of data science
- Ability to construct mathematical models for real-world data analytic problems
- Ability to process and analyze real-world, large-scale data sets
- Ability to implement data science related algorithms
- Appreciation of the broad and powerful applicability of data science
- Optimization: basic theory and modeling
- Optimization: algorithms
- Bayesian statistics
- Network theory
- Basics of machine learning
- Basics of neural network
Teaching Methods: Lectures, Programming Tutorials
Mondays to Fridays (09:30-12:30; 14:00-17:00)
|Week 1||July 10|
|Opening Ceremony||Nearest Neighbours||Naive Bayes Classifiers||Integer Programming||Nonlinear Programming II|
|Performance Evaluation: Variance-Bias Trade-off||Social Activities (Optional)||Linear Programming||Nonlinear Programming I||Neural network and stochastic methods I|
|Week 2||July 17|
|End of Programme|
|Neural network and stochastic methods II||Bayesian Sampling and Estimation||Foundations of Network Science||Statistical Inference for Network Data Part II|
|Foundations of Bayesian Statistics||Social Activities (Optional)||Statistical Inference for Network Data Part I||Closing Ceremony|
The programme content is subject to change without prior notice.
- Prof. Yi MA (guest lecturer)
- Dr. Sebastian MOREL BALBI
- Dr. Man Chung YUE
- Dr. Yue XIE
- A student who is currently studying for a bachelor/master degree.
- A candidate who meets the undergraduate admission requirements of HKU (or other recognised Universities) by possessing adequate secondary school or sub-degree qualification.
20% – HKUSI Alumni Discount