HKU IDS Scholar
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy, HKU
P307J, Graduate House, HKU
Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy
Dr Qingpeng ZHANG is an Associate Professor in the Musketeers Foundation Institute of Data Science and the Department of Pharmacology and Pharmacy at HKU. He received the B.S. degree in Automation from Huazhong University of Science and Technology in 2009, and the M.S. and the Ph.D. degrees in Systems and Industrial Engineering (minor in Management Information Systems) from the University of Arizona, in 2011 and 2012, respectively. Prior to joining HKU in 08/2023, he was an Associate Professor with the School of Data Science at The City University of Hong Kong (CityU). He previously worked as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Tetherless World Constellation, Department of Computer Science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
He is a senior member of IEEE, and an associate/academic editor for IEEE TITS, IEEE TCSS, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease (2021), and PLoS ONE. He was a theme issue editor for Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical and Engineering Sciences and the guest editor for a number of other journals. He is on the executive committee of the International Society of Digital Health, Hong Kong Society of Behavior Health, Systems Engineering Society of China, and the Hospital IoT Branch of China Association of Medical Equipment.
His research interests include medical informatics, AI in drug discovery, healthcare data analytics and network science. His research has been published in leading journals such as Nature Human Behaviour, Nature Communications and MIS Quarterly, as well as featured in press such as The Washington Post, The New York Times, New York Public Radio, The Guardian and Ming Pao. He received The President’s Award (2022) and the Outstanding Research Award for Junior Faculty (2021) from CityU and the Andrew P. Sage Best Transactions Paper Award (2021) from IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics Society.
Dr. Zhang’s current research focuses on developing knowledge-enhanced predictive decision analytics methods to characterize the high-dimensional biological, clinical and behavioral data for drug discovery, precision medicine, and public health.
(†: research student/staff; *: corresponding author)
- Zhou, J.† , Zhang, Q. (joint first author). , Zhou, S.* , Li, X.* & Zhang, M. (Mar 2023). Unintended Emotional Effects of Online Health Communities: A Text Mining-Supported Empirical Study. MIS Quarterly. 47/1. 195 – 226. doi:10.25300/MISQ/2022/17018
- Yang, J.† , Li, Z. , Wu, W.K.K. , Yu, S. , Xu, Z.† , Chu, Q.* & Zhang, Q.* (Nov 2022). Deep Learning Identifies Explainable Reasoning Paths of Mechanism of Action for Drug Repurposing from Multilayer Biological Network. Briefings in Bioinformatics. 23/6. bbac469 doi:10.1093/bib/bbac469
- Xu, Z.† , Zhang, J. , Zhang, Q.* , Xuan, Q. & Yip, S.F.P. (Sep 2022). A Comorbidity Knowledge-Aware Model for Disease Prognostic Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics. 52/9. 9809 – 9819. doi:10.1109/TCYB.2021.3070227
- Guo, M.† , Xu, Z.† , Zhang, Q.* , Liao, X. & Liu, J. (Jun 2022). Deciphering Feature Effects on Decision-Making in Ordinal Regression Problems: An Explainable Ordinal Factorization Model. ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data. 16/3. 1 – 26. doi:10.1145/3487048
- Ye, Y.† , Zhang, Q.* , Wei, X. , Cao, Z. , Yuan, S.H.Y. & Zeng, D.D.* (Jan 2022). Equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines makes a life-saving difference to all countries. Nature Human Behaviour. 6. 207 – 216 (cover feature). doi:10.1038/s41562-022-01289-8
- Zhang, Q.* , Gao, J. , Wu, J.T. , Cao, Z. & Zeng, D.D. (Jan 2022). Data Science Approaches to Confronting the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Narrative Review. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A: Mathematical and Engineering Sciences. 380/2214. 20210127 doi:10.1098/rsta.2021.0127
- Yang, J.† , Xu, Z.† , Wu, W.K.K. , Chu, Q. & Zhang, Q.* (2021). GraphSynergy: Network Inspired Deep Learning Model for Anti–Cancer Drug Combination Prediction. Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association. 28/11. 2336 – 2345. doi:10.1093/jamia/ocab162
- Xu, Z.† , Xu, Y. , Cheung, F. , Cheng, M. , Lung, D. , Law, Y.W. , Chiang, B. , Zhang, Q.* & Yip, S.F.P.* (2021). Detecting Suicide Risk Using Knowledge-Aware Natural Language Processing and Counseling Service Data. Social Science & Medicine. 283. 114176 doi:10.1016/j.socscimed.2021.114176
- Ye, Y.† , Zhang, Q.* , Ruan, Z. , Cao, Z. , Xuan, Q. & Zeng, D.D. (Oct 2020). Effect of heterogeneous risk perception on information diffusion, behavior change, and disease transmission. Physical Review E. 102. 042314 doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.102.042314
- Wang, Y.† , Zhang, Q.* & Yang, X.* (joint first authors) (Jun 2020). Evolution of the Chinese Guarantee Network under Financial Crisis and Stimulus Program. Nature Communications. 11. 2693 doi:10.1038/s41467-020-16535-8
Medical Informatics, AI in Drug Discovery, Healthcare Data Analytics, Network Science